Skip to main content
Backing Up your Library
- Always keep the original library files in your Documents folder on your computer
- There are TWO files, .enl &.data; Both of these files must be kept in the same location for EndNote to work properly
- Back up often - especially after you add a lot of new references
- Avoid saving your original files to a sync service (DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.) or shared network drive.
- Warning for Dropbox users! Saving your EndNote library files to DropBox has been known to corrupt the EndNote library files.
- You can have multiple EndNote libraries and toggle between them, or you can have one library for all your research. Just keep track of both files for each library! - See Where your EndNote Library "Lives" below.