Before you begin: If you have Microsoft Word or LibreOffice open on your computer, we recommend you quit them before attempting to install Zotero.
1. Download and install Zotero 5.0 for Windows, Mac, or Linux. This installs both the Zotero application and the word processor plugin for Microsoft Word or LibreOffice.
2. Install the Zotero Connector for your web browser; supported browsers are Chrome and Firefox. Zotero Connector will automatically install a Zotero menu into Google Docs.
3. Register for a Zotero.org account. After you register, Zotero will send a confirmation email to the address provided. Open the email and click the link to confirm your registration.
4. Set up the Zotero app to sync to your new Zotero.org account.
5. Learn more about Word Processor Integrations for Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs to make the most of Zotero's citation functionality.
Zotero can help you to create citations, footnotes, and bibliographies in Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs. Learn more about Zotero's word processor integrations, including troubleshooting.
Using a Chromebook or mobile device instead of a laptop? Committed to a browser (like Safari, Edge, or Internet Explorer) that doesn't have a Zotero Connector? See our guide to using Zotero.org with any browser.