D.C. does not offer online registration at this time.
To vote absentee/by mail:
- Be registered to vote. Not sure if you're registered? Check with the Board of Elections' website: DC voter registration status.
- Registered voters will not be required to apply for an absentee ballot in 2020 as the Board of Elections will mail all registered voters their ballots. Be sure your address is updated.
- Absentee applications are due by October 26th. Be sure to get yours in early to allow plenty of time to receive your ballot and mail it back.
- Your ballot will be mailed to you.
- Follow up with the Board of Elections to make sure you receive your ballot.
- Your ballot may require postage, a witness signature and/or notary service before you mail it back. Instructions will be on the ballot itself.
Information current as of 9/1/2020. For the most recent updates, see the Secretary of State's website.